Cycle Speedway Teams Down the Ages
Buckinghamshire: Akeley Acorns
About the team
The team was originally started up by Ken Staley with the help of the boys from the village, preferably bike owners, this being in 1950/51.
Mr John R. Tibbetts carpenters shop was used as the base for servicing the bikes.
The original track was in a field owned by Mr Glendenning, near to Chackmore Turn.
The corners were laid out using about one inch and a quarter diameter hosepipe, held down with hooks that Ken Staley had made at Messrs Harris's of Maids Moreton. Nothing marked the track between the corners, you just aimed for the next piece of pipe!!
Later on a piece of land became available in what is now Manor Road, whilst at the same time Stowe School were having their tennis courts re-surfaced. The old red shale was begged from the school, with Fred Staley borrowing Billy Aker's Bedford lorry to move the shale from Stowe to Akeley, with the help of the lads, complete with shovels, laying the shale around their new track. The 'Acorns' had the only proper Cycle Speedway track in the league, whilst most of the rival teams raced on grass, but they had proper Cycle Speedway bikes, compared to the home made cycles of the 'Acorns'.
Club colours for the bikes were a two tone cream and green, these being painted by Mr Walter G. Tibbetts.
The original breast plates were made of Hessian sacking which the local girls cut out, these being painted, together with the emblem of an Acorn by Walter Tibbetts(whose trade was a painter).
- Gordon Cook
- Jimmy George
- John Glendenning
- Michael Griffen
- Reg Jones
- Reg Ridgway
- Bill Rossiter
- Dick Staley
- Ken Staley
- John Tibbetts